Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Hunter's 3rd Birthday Party

Hunter had a Barn Yard birthday party this weekend to celebrate his 3rd birthday!  It was so fun to throw him a party this year.  He was so adorable and absolutely loved it.  We had it outside on campus so that morning Josh & I took turns setting it up and decorating it.  When it was time to take Hunter out there he was so cute.  He got really excited when he saw all the balloons and said, "hooray! It's my birthday!"  

We had several families come to the party and lots of kids.  Apparently, at one point Hunter looked around and then said, "Daddy!  I have TWENTY friends!!"  I think that is the biggest number he could think of.  He felt very loved!!


We started the party by making barn "prize" sacks.  I had drawn barns on the bags for everyone and they could color them and add stickers.

Hunter had requested that we sing "Old McDonald Had a Farm" as well as "B-I-N-G-O" and "The Hokey Pokey."  We did that and we also played Duck, Duck, Goose.  Some of the kids were a bit young for it but they all enjoyed trying.  Hunter kept picking me as the goose!  So incredibly cute.  It was fun to see him laugh and squeal.









 After the songs, the kids played in the ball pit and took turns fishing.  There was also a little game of Simon Says.  All of the activities went better than I thought they would.  For lunch, we had pigs in a blanket with carrots and hummus, grapes, mac-n-cheese, animal crackers and funfetti dip, and chicken nuggets.  There was also popcorn and goldfish.  Basically it was a meal of all of Hunter's favorite things.


 After lunch, we gathered everyone to sing happy birthday.  I put Hunter at the table and told him that we were all going to sing to him.  Then he promptly started singing Happy Birthday to all of us!  It was so cute and so sweet.  When we sang to him, he looked a little confused, but not as confused as last year.  The next day he told me he didn't like it when everyone sang to him.  I couldn't understand why he didn't like it, but he had a reason.



Then the party moved toward bubble chasing, running around, playing on the playground, and general chaos.  Just as a childhood birthday party should be.  It was great fun.

As we were leaving the party, Hunter turned around and said, "Goodbye birthday!"  Melt.My.Heart.

I love that child and it was such a privilege to throw him a party.  It was a lot of work and a lot of planning, but totally worth it to see his little face light up.  And now he talks about it so affectionately.  I know it meant a lot to him.


2 comments:

  1. What a great story and every word blessed my heart!! No wonder we love to throw birthday parties! It is a BIG way to say I LOVE YOU!! :) Sweet daughter--you and Joshua are wonderful parents. Hunter and Adelyn are so blessed, and there is no greater blessing for me as well. I love you all!

    ReplyDelete